Ballots Anyone?...

Tuesday, October 14, 2008


We went polling today up here in Canada. I always take my kids with me to vote and try to explain the reason why voting is so important. They probably still don't quite get it but it's a start. The whole concept of politics and government is hard to grasp I know and especially at such a young age. I just want to keep them exposed to what I do because it is the beginnings of a dialog about the big picture.

I also tried to explain a bit about democracy and how I feel that it is truly is our civic duty to exercise our freedom to vote. How many millions(or even billions?) of people in this world have no voice on their place in the world? Even if I feel that my one little check mark does not make much of a difference it is still important just to be part of the process.

Alas, I guess my youngest doesn't get it at all. He thinks that voting is some kind of fun game because somebody "wins". Haha, if only it were just that simple!

3 witty words:

Unknown said...

Nearing our election, my kids probably know too much. I think it is great for kids to be involved. Although my youngest thought we were moving to Canada if a certain candidate wins. I'm trying to tone it down.

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

I was in Canada recently and remember hearing a lot of election talk on TV- health care, education... for a moment I thought I was back home! I guess anywhere in the world there's civilization we all worry about the same thing...

ListPlanIt said...

Good idea to take the kids to vote. I love the look of your blog by the way. Very classy! So nice you found your way to 100 Days to Christmas. Hope to see you there again!

Jen
http://www.100DaystoChristmas.com