Happy Leap Year, and I am a Big Blog Cheater!

Friday, February 29, 2008

It's Leap Day!!!!

Hundreds of years ago, according to English law, February 29th was ignored and had no legal status. The day was "leapt over" and ignored, hence the name Leap Day. Folks assumed that traditions would also have no status on that day. It was also reasoned that since the leap year day existed to fix a problem in the calendar, it could also be used to fix an old and unjust custom that only let men propose marriage.

The first documentation of this practice dates back to 1288, when Scotland passed a law that allowed women to propose marriage to the man of their choice in that year. They also made it law that any man who declined a proposal in a leap year must pay a fine. The fine could range from a kiss to payment for a silk dress or a pair of gloves.

Since it is Leap Day and the option of finding a suitable groom in the next few hours is not likely for me, I think I will make a big confession for this Leap Year (seeing as it won't actually count for anything, Yay for tradition!)

This brings me to the second part of my title for today. So yes, I am a Big Blog Cheater. I confess, I often do not have time to post each day so I log in and put a place holder in the system with a draft post. Then I go back and write something later when I have the time and inspiration to do it right.

So there you go, I confess to being a cheater at this whole blog thing. How else could I have ever managed to post 14 times this month? A little help from Blogger lets me get away with it and I am not complaining about it one bit. (Hope my readers don't mind either!)

0 witty words: