Belated Congrats to Tilda Swinton

Sunday, March 02, 2008

I don't have cable so I get my limited pop-culture info from the internet (where else!)
When I heard that the utterly amazing Tilda Swinton won the Oscar for Best Female Actor I was very happy to say the least. I have been a fan of Tilda Swinton since I saw Orlando way back when. (I think I rented it in '94 or somewhere thereabouts.) At the time I knew nothing about the movie and I had never heard of Tilda Swinton.

For the first half of the movie, I actually thought that Tilda was a young man(!) though that Quentin Crisp did not have me fooled for a second as Queen Elizabeth I. The movie was absolutely amazing and I have been a fan ever since.



It is also a shame that Ms. Swinton's Oscar win has become shadowed with scrutiny of her unconventional lifestyle arrangement. The fact that she attended the Oscar ceremony with her (much younger) artist boyfriend while the father of her children (also an artist, much older) stayed home in Scotland in the house they all live in seems to be quite a hot topic on the net.

If you ask me, what people do in their own private lives is just that, their own private lives. The arrangement appears to be working for all involved and really, what else could one expect from a household full of "artistes" after all?

Anywho, now that Tilda has won an Oscar, I suppose that I should really get it together and go see that movie. If I could only find out the name of it....(Thanks goodness for Google!)

PS, Photo shamelessly lifted from Nick's Flick Picks who also gives a great write up of Orlando.

1 witty words:

spincus said...

i loved that movie that you have the shot from. That is the first time i saw her also. I thought she was fantastic here.